Interested in becoming a foster home for Athens Canine Rescue?
- What do foster homes do? Because ACR doesn’t have a shelter facility, we need fosters to give our dogs a place to live until they are adopted into a permanent home. Fosters are asked to provide basic training (including housebreaking and crate training) and a safe and loving home.
- How much does it cost? Athens Canine Rescue pays for all veterinary expenses, food, crates, toys, etc for the dog!
- Do I get to pick my foster dog? Yes – you do get to pick! We will do our best to help you choose a foster dog that best fits into your home. ACR only takes in dogs that are friendly, companion animals with no aggression problems or serious health issues. The Foster Coordinator and all of the ACR volunteers are here to support you and will keep in touch to make sure everything is going smoothly.
- How long will I have a foster dog? The average time a dog is fostered is a few months. However, it could be as little as a few days or as much as a year.
- Will I get too attached? Fostering takes patience, time, love and TLC, so of course you will grow to love your foster dog like one of your own. But for most fosters, the benefits far outweigh any downsides. It is a very rewarding experience! It is worth it just to know you saved a dog that had no chance before you came along!
Are you ready to sign up?
The basic steps in becoming a foster home are to fill out the foster application below, have an initial home check performed, and have a one-week trial period with an existing foster dog. So, get started today!
Email Updates Subscribe to stay on top of what's going on with ACR!